Monday, January 2, 2012

Potty Party

Hunter is 3 years, 3 months old. I have been stressing about his potty training since he turned 2. I had it in my head that age 2 was the cutoff: he needed to be potty trained.

There are a couple problems with that:

1. I didn't have time or patience to devote to it - Benny was born when Hunter was 20 months old. Diapers are so easy.

2. He was uninterested. He has used the potty some, but never really cared that some of his friends were potty trained. Hunter is a very smart kid, speaking very well and understanding/explaining complex ideas. So I figured he would just decide for himself when it was time.

Well, I realized last week that this weekend would be my last long-stretch off work that I could devote to this task. We got 4 days off work, and Hunter appeared an eager pupil, so potty training became our main event of the weekend.

I read everything I could find on the subject, and nothing really seemed like it would work for him. So here is what I did.

Keep in mind that my normal mothering style is positive-based. I try (and fail more than I would like to admit) to only provide positive reinforcement. When my kids are doing what I don't want them to do, I try to suggest another alternative. The other thing is I am very very loving towards them, lots of "I love you's" and hugs, kisses and cuddles in our house. Hunter is very confident that I will snuggle him at any time and that I love him very much.

That being said: I took a very extreme approach to potty training. I told him on Friday morning, "ok, you are a big boy now, no more diapers unless it is nap time or bed time" and just put underwear on him. Then I made him go sit on the potty a lot. Pretty much every hour, sometimes more. We had LOTS of accidents! Every time there was an accident, I lowered my voice and made it clear that I was very disappointed: "remember you are a big boy? Big boys use the potty!" "I am soooo disappointed!" "that is disgusting, now I have to clean it up!" "next time you really need to use the potty"

But...when he went in the potty, I was clapping, yelling, calling everybody an letting him tell people on the phone, M&M's for everybody!!! We had several BIG parties. In between, I reminded him of how proud of him I am, and gave him lots of extra snuggles.

Day 1: we were about 50/50 hits and misses
Day 2: more like 75/25
Day 3: accident free
Day 4: that is today; we shall see

Anyway, I devised my potty plan based on the time I had allotted, my normal parenting style, but mostly based on Hunter's unique personality. If you are looking for advice from me, that is all I can give you: devise your own method based on those things...don't try to do something just because it worked for someone else.

The end, except not really...

No comments: