Monday, July 8, 2013

The legend of the raccunk

This is a true story...kind of.

One dark and quiet night, I was sleeping soundly in my bed, with the boys all nestled into their beds, when I heard the most dreadful sound.

*mmmmeeeeeeeoooowww*

(Have you ever heard the sound of a cat in distress?)

I looked at the clock and it was 3:30 AM, so I stumbled or of my room and into the living room, thinking "that cat is being attacked by something"

(Sidenote: the last time I heard that sound, I lived with my parents, and went outside to discover their cat about 5 seconds away from being eaten by a fox...No joke. )

Anyway, in my sleepy daze, I opened my backdoor, turned on the light and saw...

A SKUNK!!!

I SCREAMED!!!

THE SKUNK HISSED,

Then the skunk jumped off the porch (a long way down)

I stopped screaming, ran inside, then realized I still hadn't found my cat. She was on the ledge right next to where the skunk was.

Once I got inside, I started thinking. ..

Why didn't that skunk have a stripe?

Do skunks hiss?

Why, oh why, did we not get sprayed by the skunk?

What kind of person sees a skunk and screams? Probably not the best idea ever, to scare a skunk (see above).

Upon further reflection and a few discussions with my trusted advisory team of friends and family, we decided it must be...

A RACCUNK.

ok, I actually think it was a black racoon, that is an actual thing. Wikipedia it.

So, we went to the lake for the 4th of July, and when we came home, the raccunk had definitely been here. The garage was ransacked (or shall I say raccunked) and that darn critter had left MULTIPLE piles of feces right outside my back door. Right by where I screamed and sent him careening off the porch.

The moral of the story? Well, it has three parts:

1) never scream when you see a skunk, you probably won't get as lucky as I did.

2) when you go to the lake, make sure your husband is with you so that he can pick up the unbelievable amounts of raccunk poop. (I actually did do this one right)

3) cats should be armed. Fact.

I sure miss you, blog.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

We miss you, too!