Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Boy-Genius

Hunter started preschool last week, and so far he really loves it! The reason I made the decision to send him to preschool at Grow To Know, at our church this year? I am crazy! Not really, the real reason is I felt he was ready for more structure, and more formalized learning. The kid is scary-smart and soaks up all new information like a sponge. Grow to Know is a great environment for him to be in because it is at our church, so he is familiar with the room but also because they are very focused on positive reinforcement, and play-learning.

I am very happy that we chose to do this. Only problem is, it adds an extra stop to my already-pretty-hectic mornings, and evenings.



Here is a picture of him on his very first day. Very excited!

Lately he has been blowing me away! We had 3 particularly crazy conversations lately that show just how smart this kid is.

1. The Mouse

There was a dead mouse in our mousetrap, and naturally I started squealing and running around trying to decide what to do about it (duh...pick it up) I am not what you might call a "true country girl" but living in the country sometimes requires me to, shall we say "MAN UP!" and just take care of business. Well in this particular instance, I opted for freaking out instead. Sounded good at the time.

So here is what happened:

Me: *squeal squeal* "Hunter dont go over there!!" {runs into the kitchen to find something - who knows what}

Hunter: "Mom, its just a mouse in a mouse trap - stop freaking out, you just need to pick it up and throw it in the woods"

Me: *still squealing* {dials the phone}

Hunter: "Mommy, let me talk to Daddy"

Me: {hands phone to Hunter}

Hunter: "Daddy - Mommy is freaking out, she just needs to throw it in the woods"

After we got Justin up to speed, he was lauging so hard he was crying, and told me to pick it up by the trap with some tongs and just throw it in the outside trash. I agreed to do that, but pretty much squealed the whole time, while Justin and Hunter talked on the phone and laughed at me.


2. The Solar System:

The other morning, Hunter said "Mommy, let's talk about the Solar System"

Me: "Ok, buddy, what do you want to tell me about the solar system?"

Him: "Well, the solar system is good because it has lots of planets"

Me: "Oh, well, what planet do we live on?"

Him: "We live on planet Earf"

Me: "That is right. What about the sun? Is the sun a really big star?"

Him: "Hmm...the sun is the star that is really close to us, all the other stars are far away"

...later that evening

Me: Hey buddy, do you know the names of the planets

Him: No

Me: Well, I am not sure either, lets see - Mercury, Venus, Earth, Mars, Venus, Saturn...

Him: You forgot Jupiter

Me: oh.

3. Metamorphosis:

We were playing with this app on my ipad that has a bunch of different things going on, including a catapillar that climbs up this tree branch, makes a cocoon and comes out a butterfly.

Hunter: Mommy - what is that worm doing?

Me: That is called Metamorphosis

Hunter: Meta-morfla -sis?

Me: Yeah, that is when a caterpillar goes to sleep in a cocoon and when it wakes up it is a butterfly.

Hunter: oh, ok.

*hours later after his nap*

Me: Hey, Hunter, Do you remember what Metamorphosis is?

Hunter: yeah. Metamorphosis is when a caterpillar sleeps in a cocoon, then it is a butterfly, and that is called Metamorphosis.

And now he officially knows everything I know about science

In other news: we are NOWHERE NEAR potty training, and he will be 3 in about 2 weeks.

you win some, you lose some.

1 comment:

Shannon said...

Seriously he is so smart! I love all the Hunter stories you share!