Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Peace

Do you ever have those nights when you can't sleep because you can't stop thinking about something that is stressing you out? Then you wake up in the morning and realize it really isn't that big a deal? Well, that happened to me last night. I was stressing out about Hunter's birthday. I just got myself all worried because I don't have time to get ready for it. I couldn't figure out: When I was going to go get him his present? When would I make his cake? We are having his party here on Sunday, and I was all worried because my house is a mess. I had some other things running through my head non-birthday related, but they were all pretty silly (now in the light of day). Once I finally went to sleep, and woke up this morning, I realized that I could handle it with just a little bit of maneuvering...this is really not that challenging. I mean, our party on Sunday is just family and close friends...none of whom care if my house is a mess. The cake will not take very long (my sister in law is making cake pops and I am just responsible for some simple cupcakes for Sunday and a little cake just for our family of 4 on Thursday), and I got everything else taken care of this afternoon...I just had to leave work a couple hours early (which I will make up when the boys are in bed - I have a project that can easily be done from home). Bottom line - in the light of day, the things that seem to be SUCH a big deal in the middle of the night are actually not such a big deal after all.

It just got me thinking about life. Some of the things that we get so worked up about in our daily lives, that really stress us out and may even cause heartache...will all seem like NOTHING in about a year from now. Even those things that really upset us, like economic uncertainty, parenting struggles and worries about family issues. Unless they are life-threatening, within a years time, those things will be a distant memory (if even that). Just something I wanted to put out there, and to try to keep in mind myself as I try to not stress about things that are not TRULY important. Make sense?

6 Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. 7And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. - Philippians 4:6-7

In my mind, the operative word in that Bible verse is "thanksgiving." In other words, when we focus on what we are grateful for, suddenly we are filled with peace. Hopefully, you share the belief that I hold, that the peace actually flows directly from God's heart to my own. But if you dont believe that, you can at least agree that the principle holds true...that gratitude breeds gratitude, and when we focus on the good in our lives, suddenly we find ourselves much more contented and peaceful.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday to Hunger!