Saturday, September 3, 2011

Space

So, today I am going to talk to you about space. I have been thinking, and its time to finally bite the bullet and go back to school. I have decided I would like to be an astronaut. I would enjoy nothing more than to board a spaceship and fly to the moon. Gather me some moon dust.

What? What's that you say? You need perfect vision to be an astronaut? You need to be ultra-super-smart? It's kinda a one-in-a-million shot?

Wait...What? They CANCELLED THE SPACE PROGRAM!?!?

Doggonit...I guess my dreams are shattered.

What am I talking about? Well I am actually wanting to talk about space, like as in the efficient use of space in my home. I just thought I might get your attention with the space shuttle/astronaut/going back to school (what kind of schooling would you need to be an astronaut anyway? a degree in aeronautical engineering? will accounting work?)...Oh, I digressed again.

I spent the morning corralling my little ones on a crazy outing with the sole intent of getting a bra to go with the dress I am wearing in my dear friend's wedding next weekend, so I am feeling a little bit goofy.

Maybe I need a nap.

Oh, what was I talking about? Oh yeah, space.

OK, here is the deal. We live in a home that is definitely too large for us. We do NOT need this much space. I really love this home, though and have been thinking of ways we can use the space better for our family. It got me to thinking, why the heck do we have a room fully devoted to being an "office" but do not really have a true "play room?" To make matters even weirder, the office is downstairs, so I have put a little desk upstairs in my dining room so that I can do my desk-related stuff within earshot of the boys sleeping rooms. And, I am not much of a basement person, I would rather be up here.

I am thinking about converting the office into a play room, and putting this really big table we have sitting in a storage room (it was an old dining room table one of Justin's grandpas found in a barn or something) that has one bench seat with it. So, if I get rid of our huge desk that we don't use, put the table up against the wall with the bench, I can make a place for the boys to do art, and when they are older - homework. Also, we can put their toys in that room, and I can send them downstairs to play. Obviously they are a little young now, but I could get a little nanny-cam so I could watch them.

Anyway, I think I am going to do it. And I will chronicle the amazing transformation here on my blog. You must know, however, that things like this take me about 30x longer than they take the average person because I over-think the whole thing AND I don't have that much time to devote to it, what between updating my facebook status with pictures of my black eye (did you see that? Benny Boo hit me in the face with a toy hammer just mere days after I gushed about him here on the blog and how much joy he brings my life - I have since sold him to the circus), chasing around my kids, and studying for my degree in aeronautical engineering.

Also, I would like to challenge you to look around your home and see if you are really using the space efficiently. I mean, do you have both a breakfast nook and a dining room but almost NEVER use the dining room, but feel like you have a better use for that room? Do your kids have separate rooms, but no play room, and maybe it would make more sense to bunk them in together so that their toys can move OUT of the living room? Do you have no idea what I am talking about?

OK, that was like 5 minutes of your life you are never getting back.

1 comment:

Julianne said...

I think that is a good idea. My sister and I always shared a room (by choice) and had another room for playing. I can remember spending hours in it playing barbies. Looking back that must have been great time off for our parents!

Julianne