Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Planning

Long range planning is not really my thing... I was reading my Bible tonight and came across this passage:

Come now, you who say, "Today or tomorrow we will go to such and such a city, and spend a year there and engage in business and make a profit." Yet you do not know what your life will be like tomorrow. You are just a vapor that appears for a little while and then vanishes away. Instead, you ought to say, "If the Lord wills, we will live and also do this or that." But as it is, you boast in your arrogance; all such boasting is evil. Therefore, to one who knows the right thing to do and does not do it, to him it is sin. (James 4:13-17 NASB)

The world tries to encourage "making a plan." If I had a dollar for every time I have sat in a business seminar where I heard the "to be successful, you must have specific goals, one year, 5 years, 20 years down the road." I wouldn't need to sit in another seminar because I would be super-rich. I recognize the exaggeration, just work with me here...

The idea of having a 5 year plan, or even longer that that, has never really resonated with me. Not that it is wrong, I think it is a fine way to conduct your business and your life, as long as you are flexible and sort of mold your plans as life circumstance change. It just doesn't resonate with me, personally. I think maybe it is because of this passage.

Because of my personality, I am a bit of a perfectionist, and a control freak. If I were to set specific goals today for the next 5 years, I fear that I would stick to my guns too much and not allow the Holy Spirit to move me in whatever direction I am supposed to go. I don't know about 1 year from now, for sure. What I do know is that tomorrow, and the next day, and for the foreseeable future, I need to focus on doing the best I can at the roles I have; work, mothering my baby boys, loving my husband, etc.

Nope, long range planning is not really my thing.

No comments: